Introduction to Asheville High School
Asheville High School first opened its doors in 1907 in the old Female Academy building. David Millard High School replaced it there in 1919, and the “new” Asheville High School, a million dollar structure, was built on McDowell Street in 1928. In 1935, it was renamed Lee H. Edwards in honor of its first principal. In 1965, Lee Edwards opened for African-American students on a freedom-of-choice basis. In 1969, Lee Edwards and South French Broad schools were consolidated at the site of Lee Edwards, which was once again named Asheville High School. A million dollar career technology education building was completed in 1969 providing facilities for eight occupational areas of study. A new gymnasium in 1972, a new media center in 1974, and an outdoor athletic field complex in 1980, became available for use. In 1991, a state-of-the-art Arts Education facility was completed, housing a 150-seat theatre, dance studios, ceramics studio, a video production lab, and band, drama, and chorus classrooms.
Asheville High School offers a wide array of courses in the five academic departments: English, World Language, Math, Science, and Social Studies. Additionally, robust offerings are available to students in the Arts, Marine Corps JROTC, Career Technical Education, Physical Education, and AVID.