BYOT: How to Connect
Connect your device to the ACS-BYOT Wifi network, then provide your ACS username and password. What happens next depends on the type of device you are using. In general, you will need to accept our wireless certificate and continue on until you are connected to the wireless network.
Directions for connecting various device types are below:
- Open the settings app and go to Wi-Fi.
- Select "ACS-BYOT".
- Enter your username and password, then touch Join.
- Accept the GoDaddy root certificate and connect.
Chromebook (Chrome OS)
- Access wireless settings by clicking in the status area of the screen (bottom right, click on the time), then click on wireless connection icon.
- Select "ACS-BYOT".
- Use the following settings: Set...
- EAP to PEAP,
- Phase 2 authentication: Automatic,
- Server CA certificate: Default;
- then enter your username and password.
- Click the wireless network icon in the notification tray.
- Connect to "ACS-BYOT".
- Enter username and password, read the security alert and then click Connect.
- Accept the certificate and connect.
- Click the Wi-Fi menu icon.
- Select ACS-BYOT.
- Set Mode to Automatic and provide username and password.
- Authenticating to network, click Continue to accept the certificate and connect.
- Open the Settings app.
- Choose WiFi or Wireless & Networks
- Select ACS-BYOT from the list of available networks
- Use the following settings:
- EAP: PEAP;
- Phase 2: None;
- CA certificate: Unspecified;
- Identity: enter your username;
- anonymous identity: leave empty;
- Password: your password.
After you get your device connected, you need to add the Zscaler Root Certificate or many websites will be inadvertently blocked by the filter.
Install Z-Scaler Root Certificate
For the web filter to work properly, download and install the Z-Scaler root security certificate. You will not be able to get to many websites if you do not install the Z-Scaler certificate. This certificate is installed so that your Internet traffic can be securely transmitted. No data is collected from your computer, and no software or off-site monitoring capabilities are ever installed on personally-owned devices.
Before you install the certificate, you will need to download it to your computer. Please refer to the installation instructions below for your device.
Z-Scaler Certificate Download Link (use this to download the Certificate)
- Using Google Chrome Browser
- Download the certificate and save to a location of your choice (you will need to know where it is later).
- In Chrome, go to the Customize menu (3 dots on the top right side), select Settings, and then in the window that appears click on the Hamburger Menu on the top left side (3 Horizontal Lines).
- Click on the Advanced Option, select Privacy and Security then click Manage Certificates.
- To install the certificate go to the Trusted Root Certification Authorities tab and click the "Import..." button.
- In the Certificate Import Wizard window that appears click the "Next" button.
- To select the Z-Scaler certificate you just downloaded, press the "Browse..." button.
- Find the saved Z-Scaler certificate file (from step 2 above) and click the "Open" button, then "Next", and then "Finish".
- Restart Google Chrome.
See the YouTube video below.
Mac (MacBook Pro, MacBook Air)
- Download Z-Scaler Certificate.
- Double-Click file. Depending on your version of OS X, either
- the "Keychain" window will open, where you will install the Z-Scaler Certificates, or
- in the "Add Certificates" window, select "System" under "Keychain"....click "Add".
- Enter your Mac password.
- If prompted, select "Always Trust This Certificate".
iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod)
- Use Safari mobile web browser.
- Click the link to download the file.
- Click "Install".
- Click "Install Now".
- If you have a passcode on your device, you will need to enter it when prompted.
- Download the Z-Scaler certificate to USB flash drive or the downloads folder on the Chromebook.
- Open Settings from the Chromebook browser’s menu.
- Select Show advanced settings.
- Find HTTPS/SSL and click Manage certificates.
- Select Authorities.
- Scroll down and click Import.
- Locate the the Z-Scaler certificate from the location you saved it to in step 1, click Open.
- Select “Trust this certificate for identifying websites".
- Click OK to finish the process.
- Close all dialogue boxes.
- **If sharing Chromebooks, EACH USER must install the Z-Scaler certificate to the Chromebook they are using, under their sign in. At this point in time, Certificates are user specific on the Chromebooks, not device specific.
- Click the link to download the Z-Scaler certificate.
- Android will ask you what to name the certificate. Provide a name for the certificate (example: ZS2048)
- Click OK.
- The certificate will be installed.