About Hall Fletcher
HFE is a supportive, equitable STEAM school committed to student success.
Hall Fletcher Elementary's vision is to empower students to be successful, life-long learners through problem-solving, community building, and rigorous instruction.
Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports
Hall Fletcher participates in the PBIS program to help all of our students succeed. Our students have opportunities to earn PAW stickers and PAWS Positive Referrals for being Responsible, Respectful, and Safe.
Our Magnet Theme
Hall Fletcher's magnet theme is STEAM. We have STEAM clubs for all grade levels as well as a competitive robotics team for 4th/5th graders.
The original Hall Fletcher Junior High was constructed on a six-acre tract next to Garden Circle in 1925. The Asheville School Board named the new state-of-the-art school after Dr. Hall Fletcher, a respected physician, World War I veteran, and community leader.
The new building was the pride of West Asheville. It boasted an auditorium said to be one of the finest in the South. Its drafting classes, science laboratories, and cafeterias had the newest of available technology, all luckily installed before the effects of the Great Depression hit the region.
Fuel shortages in 1934 forced Asheville High School to close and Hall Fletcher became a temporary high school, an easy transition due to Hall Fletcher’s facilities. Within a couple of years Hall Fletcher Junior High returned and served West Asheville for forty more years.
In the mid-1970’s “the stately old structure” was replaced by the present-day building on the same site expanded to twelve acres. The new facility, Hall Fletcher Middle School, was designed with “team teaching in mind.” The second floor housed four “pods” of three classrooms each. The classrooms were separated by folding partitions which allowed the space to be opened into a large L shape. Each pod of three to four teachers used the space to team teach language arts, social studies, math, and science. The media center was situated for easy access for each pod. Designed and built during the energy crisis of the early-1970’s, the few windows installed were designed at a 45-degree slope to block out sunlight.
In 1990 Asheville City Schools established magnet themed elementary schools. It consolidated the middle schools into Asheville Middle School. Staff and students of Aycock Elementary were moved down Haywood Road to Ridgelawn Drive to become the Hall Fletcher School of Math, Science, and Technology. Soon after its move, Asheville City Schools added a two-story addition of ten rooms to the front of the school.
-Pack Library Newspaper File Collection, 42.29-Volume 42, (H)