Core Practices of Experiential Learning at IDES
- The work of teachers and learners is characterized by learner choice, design, and revision.
- The role of the teacher is that of facilitator and collaborator.
- The academic integrity of the work teachers and learners do together is clear.
- Work is characterized by active learning.
- New activities spiral out of the old, incorporating prior knowledge and building on skills and understandings that can be amplified.
- Peer teaching, small group work, and teamwork are consistent features of classroom activity.
- Connections between the classroom, the community, and the world are clear.
- There is an audience beyond the teacher for learner work.
- Imagination and creativity are encouraged.
- Reflection is an essential activity that takes place at key points in teaching and learning.
- The work teachers and learners do together includes rigorous, ongoing assessment, and evaluation.
View a PDF for detailed descriptions of each correlate.